Thursday, November 12, 2015

At the risk of being petty… The Fonz was at We Day?



Prime Minister Trudeau spoke at We Day. 16,000 students and teachers from over 500 schools at We Day Ottawa, a concert-style event that champions public service in Canada and abroad. 


OK, cool. He was not originally scheduled. Still, pretty cool. The Prime Minister (who is also the Minister for Youth) makes a surprise, inspiring visit. 

Who else was on the list?

Bruce Heyman, U.S. ambassador to Canada.
Rick Hansen, the former Paralympian and activist for rights of the disabled.
Lilly Singh, a YouTube personality.
Simple Plan, a Montreal rock band.
Kardinal Offishall, a Canadian rapper.
Shawn Hook, a singer from B.C.
Spencer West, a motivational speaker who lost both legs to a genetic disorder as a child.
And… Henry Winkler, an American actor.

The Fonz? Really?

I am being petty, I admit. I don’t know what Fonzie had to say to 16,000 young people. I am 50 and he was my hero. Happy Days was popular when I was younger than the people who attended We Day. I assume that Winkler has crafted a brilliant stump speech that is really appealing and inspiring to young people. It’s just that on this list of speakers and performers, Fonzie sort of jumped out. A little out of place.

It did result in an awesome conversation with my son Oliver (16). He knows what it is to “jump the shark” but he did not know the origin. Warning... it's hard to watch.


And, maybe Fonzie is more iconic with young people than I realize. Oliver recognizes a thumbs up accompanied by, “Ayyy.” Also did not know the origin.


Love you Fonzie. Love love love.


No comments:

Post a Comment