Thursday, August 6, 2015

More on the Remembrance Day Sergeant – being offended does not make you a victim.




 From CBC News
The collaborative justice process used in the case involving the fake Remembrance Day sergeant focuses on repairing harm, handing over control to the victim and offender, a criminal defence lawyer says.

I find myself musing over who the victim is? The implication is that veterans have been victimized by Gervais’ impersonation. But, have they? What harm has been done?

One might argue that veterans are victims because impersonators like Gervais will cause organizations to withdraw veterans’ perks and services. Stores will stop offering veterans discounts because they are worried that the recipient is not a real soldier. Governments will stop funding veterans’ affairs because they may be funding fakes. It certainly seems, though, that this argument is just silly. The reality is that Gervais’ actions brought more attention and laurels to veterans.

I understand that veterans are offended by Gervais’ actions. I was too. Heck, I am even a veteran (according to Veterans Affairs Canada). I can get a special license plate if I want (I do not intend to).

Being offended does not make you a victim.

I am offended that some American dentists like killing African lions for the sake of a trophy on their wall. It is hard to see how I am a victim of such an act. I am offended that there are people who still want to ban gay marriage. I am straight, so it’s hard to see how I am a victim of such bigotry.

This seems symptomatic of our desire to see the world as perpetrators and victims. Perhaps it’s a simple way to sort things. It’s convenient. So, for every act we ascribe the role of perpetrator and victim.

No comments:

Post a Comment