Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A very very ineresting election




Prior to the writ I anticipated an interesting election.

Thirty-one days in, I am not disappointed. 

From the Globe and Mail: “Half of Canadians are still willing to consider voting for any of two or more parties.”

Cool. There is lots of fun to some.

Despite the fact that I am a member of a political party, I was undecided at the opening of this campaign. I was not happy with my traditional party (although I have at one time or another voted for all three of the major parties). I have now decided, although I cannot rule out the possibility of changing my mind. I assume that there are lots of folk like me who are paying attention and trying to choose. This is fun. All too often we simply entrench and vote the way we always vote. With 50 percent still open to two or more parties and with the polls indicating things are still a close race, this is really fun.

Issues that are resonating with voters:

Deficit spending, the economy (including personal income), and the Duffy trial.

Issues that are not resonating:

ISIS and security.

If I were the Conservatives I would move off the issue of security. It’s there but I don’t have the sense of it resonating outside the conservative core. It’s not a wedge issue that will drive soft voters to vote conservative. Unless, of course, a major terrorist act occurs in the coming weeks and then everything could change.

Prediction: A minority government of one kind or another. And, the evolution of Canadian politics will continue after this election as the left contemplates their future. If, for instance, the NDP win a minority, they will want to try again for a majority. If, though, the Cons win a minority the NDP and Libs will have to give some serious consideration to uniting the left. 

Fun times for political junkies.

No comments:

Post a Comment