Wednesday, September 30, 2015

The terrifying fun of going back to school at 50.




Starting my 4th week at Carleton. Or is it 5th?
 
I’m not behind yet. Well, at least I don’t think I’m behind yet. I might be. The recurring theme to date is that I have a lot of catching up to do across a broad spectrum.

This experience is deeply humbling. Hearkening back to my undergraduate studies in the 1980s I remember feeling pretty smart. Most of my colleagues did too. Young and idealistic, perhaps. That is not the feeling I now have. Now I feel humbled. I am surrounded by very, very smart and insightful people – professors and students. People who care deeply about what they are studying, thinking, and writing. 

It’s very motivating. Inspiring. And terrifying.

Now forgive me, I have five journal articles and two books to read before Monday. I think there is a probably an assignment due, too but I haven’t looked that far ahead. Oh, and a thesis. Well, I haven’t started that yet. As a matter of fact, the thesis proposal that I have only just started to think about is completely different than what I was intending when I started four weeks ago.You know, maybe I am behind.

1 comment:

  1. I believe in life long learning. I have taken many classes to ensure that I am up to date on new meds etc. I have recently ( 2 days ago!) started a new program on pharmacotherapy. A bit of a set back. The first module is about the statistical relevance of studies, which is really mind boggling! I will persevere and hopefully in a few months I will be recognized as certified in Pharmacotherapy.

    ReplyDelete