Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I own a 2015 VW Golf Diesel. Now what?




Volkswagen has been rigging its cars to pass emission tests, 11 million worldwide including mine. Rigging its cars. As in, cheating. 

When this story broke yesterday I was gobsmacked. I still am. 

“A sophisticated software algorithm on certain Volkswagen vehicles detects when the car is undergoing official emissions testing, and turns full emissions controls on only during the test,” the EPA said in its violation notice.

I choose my little Golf Diesel because I wanted better monthly cash flow (fuel economy). And, because I was motivated by my two boys to buy a car that was “good for the environment.” They would have preferred I buy an electric or a hybrid, I felt good about the VW. I accepted the argument that all-in environmental impact of the TDI clean diesel was on par with (or even better) than a hybrid, once you include lifetime costs like battery recycling. 

I am conflicted. I love my little VW. I drive a lot. I put on 50,000 kilometres this year. The car is comfortable, economical, and fun. But it’s no longer a “clean diesel.” I don’t know how bad it is. I assume it still compares with gasoline powered economy cars but I don’t know. It still accelerates with élan and gets fantastic fuel economy but it’s suddenly a lot less fun to drive. 

I will probably join the class action lawsuit that is brewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment